Show Notes: Woman Carjacked in Parking Lot in Taylor, MI, Killer Assumes Victims Identity

This show, “Michigan and other Mayhem”, is a sort of factual, slightly comical, always earnest podcast about interesting stuff in Michigan and around the world. It is done by two sisters-in-law (Ali and Jenn) that like to talk about random interesting stories.  Expect cults, mysteries, murder, fast talking, and a couple of mental palate cleansers… and cuss words.  Those happen on this show, a lot.

Click Here To Listen To Episode 41: Woman Carjacked in Parking Lot in Taylor, MI, Killer Assumes Victims Identity



  • Pretend podcast music because Jenn likes it. 
    • Ali has a weird laugh.  It is often loud.

Ali and Jenn discuss Bed, Bath, and Beyond. Jenn is not a fan, even with their coupons. She also possibly offends people who live in Taylor, MI. She then complains about the way Ali asks her questions about her stories. Jenn definitely had some critiques today.

Woman Kidnapped From Taylor, MI

June 6, 2018, a woman was carjacked in Taylor, MI from a Bed, Bath, and Beyond store parking lot at eight in the morning. She was then forced to drive around the city, stopping at an ATM to withdraw money for her captor. He then forced her out of the car when they were on Eureka road. He then strangled the woman unconscious with her phone’s charging cord. He then left her on the side of the road.

Both Ali and Jenn speculate that he may have believed she was dead.

She did regain consciousness and was able to call for help at a local business. She had lacerations on her neck. Later in the week, the carjacker was arrested in Detroit while still driving her car.  

Killer Assumes Victims Identity

Shanna Golyar

In Omaha, Nebraska, a man named David Kroupa was casually dating a couple women.  One was named Cari Farver, a 37-year-old woman he had last dated in 2012.  David was also dating Shanna Golyar and not long after, Cari disappeared. That’s when the harassment started.

Cari Farver was sending tens of thousands of emails, texts, and phone calls. They were threatening in nature and being sent to David, women he was dating, especially Shanna, and his friends. The communications went on for four years as David was seemingly stalked by Cari. Shanna’s property was vandalized, her residence suffered a fire, and she was shot in the leg. Through the whole process Shanna Golyar stuck with David.

In 2012, Cari had spent an evening with David and then disappeared physically.  Cari would only contact people through social media and the thousands of messages sent to David and his circle of friends. Her four-year-old son was abandoned, with Cari posting a FaceBook message saying she would be gone for an indeterminate amount of time so that she could “sort things out”. She even posted that her son wanted to go with her, but she refused to take him.

Just to give you an idea: One email sent from Cari’s account in January of 2013 shows a woman bound and gagged in the truck of a car. The email said the person in the trunk was Shanna and if David didn’t agree to date her, Cari, he’d never see Shanna again. There were photos sent of David’s home, car, and children with the subject lines of “Watching” and “See, I am really here”. The thousands of texts of this manner were sent to David from 25 different phone numbers.

In 2015, David Kroupa broke up with Shanna and the harassment began to slow down before stopping.  The police were working on tracing the emails and they all led back to Shanna and not Cari.  Evidence led the police to believe that Shanna ambushed Cari shortly after she had a night out with David, in 2012, killing her.  Shanna then began to impersonate Cari on social media and in the harassing communications.

When detective searched a storage unit that belonged to Shanna’s ex-boyfriend, they found a tablet with pictures on the memory card. One of the pictures was of Cari Farver’s left foot, which had a tattoo of the word “Mother” in Chinese. A forensic pathologist testified that there is evidence of decomposition in the picture of the foot. She also noted that there was a small white mark on her skin which is known as a “scuff mark” that appears when a dead person’s skin is touched. Another picture showed a woman’s thigh, and again one of Cari’s tattoos are visible.

Detectives were also able to coordinate data from cellphones and IP addresses that were tied to the emails that were supposed to have come from Cari but were linked to Shanna. There were also voice recordings of Shanna pretending to be a third person that she was trying to frame for the crime of killing Cari. Emails that described Cari’s murder as a stabbing that took place in Shanna’s vehicle were found.  The emails also described how Cari was then wrapped in a tarp, set on fire, and then thrown away. The most damning evidence was when forensics also found blood soaked into the passenger seat of Shanna’s car, and it matched Cari’s DNA. Shanna Golyar was given a life sentence in jail and another 18 to 20 years on top of that for when she committed arson, setting her home on fire.

Annie Lee Cole

Annie Lee Cole had criminal charges for writing bad checks and was probably going back to jail.  To avoid jailtime she came up with a plan. (Jenn is going to like this plan because it involves one of her favorite topics, coworker violence.)

Annie worked with Stella Sproule at Transpak, an auto supply company in Sterling Heights, Michigan. They arranged to meet up with each other on Stella’s lunch period.  Stella was going to give Annie an application to a department store. Instead of Annie showing up, two teenage males arrived. Their names are Leander Foster and Steward McCoy. They told Stella that they were sent by Annie, then pulled a gun out. The two then had Stella drive to a vacant building in Detroit where they then shot her in the head three times. They took Stella’s car and the eight dollars that were in her purse.

Police then received a phone call from a woman named “Betty Cole”.  Betty told police that her sister Annie Cole was missing. Betty then explained that she had received a strange call about where her sister might be. Police were then directed to the abandoned building in Detroit where Stella’s body was found. Annie then showed up at the building, told police she was Betty Cole, and identified Stella’s body as her own.  She then requested for the body to be cremated that day. Annie’s plan to kill her old criminal identity and assume Stella Sproule’s was almost complete.

According to Deputy Chief George Clarkson, the funeral home was about to burn the body, but the police didn’t feel like they had the complete story. During follow-up the police were able to find Annie’s brother, who let police know that she was still alive. The biggest break came when Annie used Stella’s credit card, on the night Stella was murdered, at a department store and was caught on video.

Annie’s children, twin 10-year-old girls, testified against her. They told the courts how their mother was lying to the department store personnel about how she came to have the credit card. They told the courts about their mom driving them to the scene of the crime and a funeral home. At the funeral home, Annie had told her girls not to refer to her at their mom but Aunt Betty instead.

Stella had been selected as a victim because she had a “good name”.

Annie was charged and convicted of first-degree premeditated murder, felony murder, and armed robbery. I read an appeal by Annie Lee Cole, in which all her attempts were denied. One example is she tried to say her mom didn’t have authorization to allow police to search the room she was using as a bedroom, but the courts disagreed. One thing that did catch my interest, is at the bottom of the appeal it mentioned that she had not pointed out that she was convicted of both first-degree premeditated murder and felony murder and it was against the constitutional guarantee against double jeopardy. The appeal noted that the felony murder charge had to be dropped but the other convictions were affirmed.

According to OTIS (Offender Tracking Information System) Leander Foster, the person who did shoot Stella, was given life in prison for armed robbery.  He also received 33-60 years for first-degree premeditated murder, and two years for a felony weapons charge. I could not find Steward McCoy in OTIS.

Rate and subscribe to our podcast on iTunes, Google Play, Anchor, and YouTube.



Published by Michigan and other mayhem

Random Michigan and mayhem, you know you want it.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: